Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Our next apartment and its oddities...

Living in rental apartments has it's pluses and minuses, but at some point there comes a bit of a temptation to have a place that you can actually alter - find projects in and make the place your own. Rolf and I have found what we hope will be the best of both worlds - we're renting an apartment with a bit of (slightly eccentric) soul, but more importantly with owners who are willing to support us in bettering the place!

So, I picked up the keys today and spent a couple hours looking around at the details, photographing, thinking about how we can make the place ours. Some of the details there now are great, others less so. I don't have any answers yet -- the apartment itself has really evolved over time (the building dates to around 1850!), and I think the best we can do is to continue that evolution, slowly over time. Of course, there are a couple of things that I am itching to rebuild/replace right away, but we'll see how it works out. We move officially on Sunday and I imagine it will take a few weeks of arranging, selective shopping and installations before we feel settled in. But for now, a few 'before Rolf & Melissa' pictures of the place - (apologies in advance for soft blurriness - I didn't realize my camera was set to manual focus for half of the shooting! ..and just maybe I should be wearing my glasses more often than I do.)

The apartment is really big for us - entry, 2 living rooms, kitchen, bed, bath, and this dining room.

This half of the kitchen is not particularly Rolf-friendly.


I can't decide if this room wants to be a living room or a dance lounge.

This 'hall' space off living room 2 may as well be another room.

We're not sure what is in the space behind that door...

It's quite a feat to find an apartment in Oslo with a bathtub..

I'm not sure why the toilet gets its own room.


I dig (some) wallpaper.

Wood construction is nice! This old tongue and grooved cross member is actually just decorative though.

No comments:

Post a Comment